The Best Prenatal Vitamins
During pregnancy, taking extra care of your health and being more conscious of your food intake is necessary for your own good, as well as that of your developing baby. Aside from eating nutritious and healthy foods, taking prenatal vitamins is also essential to fill in important missing nutrients and help support your baby’s growth.
Your daily intake of prenatal vitamins can also reduce the risk of birth defects. Remember that your baby takes whatever he or she needs from you, so make sure that you are getting enough nutrients, not only for yourself but for your growing baby, too.
Buying Guide: How to Choose the Best Prenatal Vitamins
Prenatal vitamins can either be prescribed or bought over the counter. Formulations may vary from brand to brand, so you might want to ask your health care provider for recommendations or your doctor for any prescriptions.
It is important that the prenatal vitamins contain important vitamins and minerals such as 400 to 600 mg of folic acid, 250 mg of calcium, 30 mg of iron, 150 mg of iodine, two mg of vitamin B6, and Omega 3 fatty acids.
Other important nutrients include vitamin A, vitamin D, zinc, copper, vitamin C, vitamin E, thiamin, riboflavin, niacin, vitamin B12, magnesium, selenium, fluoride, biotin, choline, phosphorus, pantothenic acid, and baby brain-boosting DHA.
Usually, the biggest component of prenatal vitamins is folic acid, as it is a very important nutrient for pregnant women.
It greatly reduces health complications for the developing baby, so make sure that the prenatal vitamin you choose has enough, or at least 400 mg per serving.
Aside from making sure that you will be getting the right amount of nutrients from prenatal vitamins, you also need to check how you can take them.
For instance, if you have trouble swallowing pills because of their size, you may want to look for a pill with a slicker coating or find a chewable or liquid prenatal vitamin that will be easier to swallow.
Try taking a prenatal vitamin with a meal or before you go to bed to avoid feeling nauseated. If it still makes you feel sick, you may need to consider another brand that might work better for you.
However, it is always best to talk to your doctor and discuss your nutritional gaps, if there are any, so that you can be prescribed the appropriate and the best prenatal vitamins.
If you want to find the best on your own, below are some of the products that you might want to consider.
Vitafusion Prenatal, Gummy Vitamins
Whoever said that gummies are just for kids is definitely wrong because even pregnant women can take prenatal vitamins in gummy form. When it comes to gummy vitamins, one of the names that you can trust is Vitafusion.
After all, it would not be the number-one adult gummy vitamin brand for nothing. It has reformed the industry of dietary supplements with five simple words: “We Make Nutrition Taste Good.” And indeed, the company does just that.
- It provides an excellent source of vitamins A, C, D, and E.
- Its vitamin C contents are 242mg, or the equivalent of 10 tangerines.
- Its folic acid content is as much as three cups of cooked spinach, which is known to be high in folic acid.
- It is a great source of Omega-3 DHA, as it contains 50mg of DHA per serving.
- It uses high-quality and purified fish oil, which has been tested for mercury and PCBs or polychlorinated biphenyls.
- It supports immune health.
- It is gluten free.
- It is delicious as it comes in natural lemon and raspberry lemonade flavors.
- It can be taken effortlessly and does not cause any stomach problems.
- It is a great source of all the essential nutrients that a pregnant woman needs.
- It reduces morning sickness and nausea with its fruity taste.
- It does not have any bitter aftertaste and tastes like a fruit snack.
- It stays soft even when inside the fridge.
- It does not contain any iron and calcium, so you need to take a separate iron and calcium supplement.
- Some say its coating is too sugary.
Vitafusion Prenatal Gummy Vitamins are a great choice for those who find it difficult to swallow pills or tablets. Taking this supplement is effortless as it is like having a tiny dessert or a gummy candy after a meal.
Each bottle contains 90 gummies, which is good for one and a half months. The recommended intake is two gummy vitamins per day as a dietary supplement.
Aside from the fact that it comes from a respected brand, many specialists and pregnant women prefer this prenatal vitamin because it can provide the essential nutrients needed by pregnant women and their developing babies.
Rainbow Light Prenatal One Multivitamin, 150-Count Bottle
A prenatal vitamin should be able to support your nutrition and energy as well as promote your baby’s health and development, even with just one tablet, and that is what the Rainbow Light Prenatal One Multivitamin promises. It uses a base of superfood extracts to provide essential vitamins and minerals to you and your growing baby.
- It has nourishing vitamins, minerals, superfoods, and botanicals, which support your nutrition and energy.
- It contains 800 micrograms of folic acid, which is critical for promoting healthy brain and spinal development and preventing neural tube defects in your baby.
- It contains 30 milligrams of iron, which supports metabolism and the production of red blood cells; 400 IU of vitamin D2 for healthy bones and teeth; 100 milligrams of vitamin C; and 4,000 IU of vitamin A for skin, eye, and immune health support.
- It has a gentle prenatal blend, which eases the discomforts brought by pregnancy.
- It is made with natural, purity-tested ingredients.
- It does not contain artificial preservatives, colors, flavors, or sweeteners.
- It is free from gluten, soy, dairy, nuts, shellfish, and yeast.
- It has a vegan formula, which is appropriate for vegans and vegetarians.
- Only one tablet is needed to be taken on a daily basis, with or between meals.
- It is food-based, making it gentle on the stomach.
- Its blend includes the superfood spirulina, as well as red raspberry and ginger.
- It is free from any allergens, artificial colors, flavors, sugar, sweeteners, and preservatives.
- By purchasing Prenatal One, you also give donations to the worldwide Vitamin Angels Maternal Health Project.
- Some customers claimed to have purchased counterfeit items, so buyers need to be aware and only purchase from trusted sellers.
- It may develop dark spots due to moisture, but these will not impact the safety of the product.
Rainbow Light’s Prenatal One is a great food-based multivitamin that provides complete nutrition for mom and baby. Since it has a gentle yet very potent blend, all you need is one tablet to get the essential nutrients that you need.
What’s great about it is that it is gentle on the stomach and is guaranteed to be 100 percent natural, so you can be sure that it is safe for you and your baby.
Garden of Life Prenatal Vitamins - Vitamin Code Raw Prenatal Whole Food Multivitamin Supplement for Mom and Baby, Vegetarian, 180 Capsule
Vitamin Code Raw Prenatal Vitamins from Garden of Life isanother great choice for prenatal vitamins, as they have a comprehensive, whole-food, multi-nutrient formula that is designed to meet the unique needs of women.
Each vitamin provides nourishment to both mother and child and can even be taken before pregnancy or pre-conception, as well as during lactation. Garden of Life also promises to empower extraordinary health, so you can be assured of its products’ quality.
- “Raw” means that there were no high heat, synthetic binders, fillers, artificial flavors, sweeteners, colors, or additives used in its formulation.
- The raw nutrients are blended in a base of 23 fruits and vegetables, as well as other food cofactors.
- It contains 800 micrograms of folate for healthy neural tube development.
- It contains 18 milligrams of stomach-friendly iron, which is good for the blood and a healthy reproductive system.
- It has 1,400 IU of vitamin D3 for maximum absorption of dietary calcium.
- It helps relieve morning sickness and digestive discomfort caused by pregnancy.
- It provides probiotic immune support.
- It is safe even after giving birth, so you can still take it while nursing your baby.
- Garden of Life is passionate about food, so it always starts with real foods to provide the formulas for its products.
- It has so many benefits for the mom and the growing baby while still inside the womb and even after birth.
- The vitamins and minerals were taken from 23 different fruits and vegetables.
- The capsule may be opened, and the contents may be mixed with water or raw juice.
- The recommended daily intake is three capsules daily, which can be too much for those who do not like taking pills.However, the capsule may be opened and mixed with water or raw juice.
The Vitamin Code Prenatal Multivitamin is a comprehensive supplement providing all the necessary nutrients to meet the needs of future mothers and their precious growing babies.
It is raw and free from harmful ingredients, so it is recommended for anyone who does not mind taking three capsules per day or mixing supplements in their beverages.
New Chapter Perfect Prenatal Vitamins Fermented with Probiotics + Folate + Iron + Vitamin D3 + B Vitamins + Organic Non-GMO Ingredients - 192 ct
New Chapter’s Perfect Prenatal Multivitamin is another great supplement worth trying,as it provides complete nourishment for two, is gentle on the stomach, and is made from quality ingredients that matter.
It is recommended for expectant mothers, as it provides support for the mom’s and the baby’s development. What’s great is that New Chapter is committed to using only the best and trusted ingredients such as whole fruits, vegetables, herbs, and mushrooms.
- It contains nourishment that is formulated for women who are pregnant or who are planning to conceive.
- Its key ingredients include whole fermented nutrients such as folate, iron, vitamin D3, and complementary herbs such as broccoli and blueberries.
- It contains non-constipating iron for blood building support, B vitamins for natural energy support, vitamin D3 for heart support, and vitamins A and C and zinc for immune support.
- It is prepared with no added sugar to support a healthy pregnancy and fetal development.
- It is a 100 percent digestible prenatal vitamin that is gentle enough to be taken anytime, even on an empty stomach.
- It is uniquely fermented with beneficial probiotics and whole foods.
- It is made with organic vegetables such as kale, broccoli, and cauliflower and herbs such as superfood sprouts.
- It is non-GMO, vegetarian, kosher-free, gluten-free, and sugar-free.
- It does not contain synthetic fillers or animal gelatin.
- It is made with a two-step fermentation process, which uses the power of probiotics to make it easily digestible.
- It can be taken on an empty stomach.
- All ingredients are carefully reviewed and are 100 percentorganic.
- Suggested use is three tablets daily, which can take a little more effort, especially when you do not like taking supplements.
- The pill is quite big and has an unpleasant aftertaste.
New Chapter Perfect Prenatal Vitaminsare a great way to ensure that you are getting all the essential vitamins and minerals that you and your baby need during pregnancy.
They are an excellent choice if you do not mind taking three big pills on a daily basis, as they contain whole food fermented ingredients such as organic vegetables and herbs.
Nature Made Prenatal Multi + DHA 200 Mg Softgels, Value Size, 60 + 30 Liquid softgels
Nature Made’s Prenatal Multi plus DHA is one of the best selling prenatal vitamins for many reasons. One of those is that it includes essential and sufficient amounts of Omega-3 fatty acid DHA such that only one dose is required per day. It has a potent formula that ensures a healthy pregnancy as well as the healthy development of your baby.
- It has key nutrients for expectant mothers and growing babies inside the womb but can also be taken by women who are trying to get pregnant.
- It supports cellular energy production, bone health, and healthy nervous and immune systems.
- Its folic acid content helps reduce the risk of having a child with a brain or spinal cord birth defect.
- It also contains other key nutrients such as iron, calcium, vitamin D, and zinc.
- It is made from safe and quality ingredients that were carefully selected from trusted suppliers.
- It contains wheat but does not contain any artificial flavors, preservatives, or yeast. The colors were derived from natural sources and not from synthetic dyes.
- You only need to take one softgel daily with food, which is great, especially for those who do not like taking many pills on a daily basis. One softgel already contains 200 milligrams of the Omega-3 fatty acid DHA.
- It has all the key nutrients needed for expectant mothers and growing babies.
- It is made in accordance with strict standards of good manufacturing practices.
- It contains anchovies, sardines, and mackerel, so it has a slight fishy taste and smell, which may upset pregnant women and cause nausea.
- It can also be a little difficult to swallow because of the size.
Nature Made Prenatal Multi + DHA is another supplement that is highly recommended because of its potent formula that contains the key nutrients that pregnant women as well as those trying to conceive who need a healthy pregnancy.
It is a good buy because it ensures the use of safe and quality ingredients as well as good manufacturing practices. If you prefer taking a prenatal vitamin only once daily and do not mind a little fishy smell, then this product might be the one for you.
Pregnant women should be extra careful with the vitamins and other supplements that they take, for their own good as well as for the healthy development of their babies. There are a lot of prenatal vitamins that are offered these days, so it is essential to choose the best one that can provide the nutrients necessary for a healthy pregnancy.
The five products that were mentioned are all great products to be considered when it comes to choosing the best prenatal vitamins.
They all have their own benefits and major selling points as well as some minor drawback, so it is important to be critical when choosing.
Aside from the essential nutrients, another factor to consider is the form and the recommended intake. For instance, for those who have a hard time swallowing pills, it would probably be best to choose the Vitafusion Prenatal Gummy Vitamins, as they can be chewed and swallowed easily.
It is also a good idea to go for the vitamins that are organic and made with safe and natural materials and do not contain preservatives and artificial ingredients. After all, you would only want the best for you and the precious baby growing inside you.